Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Wicked Review

An overview of one of the most critically acclaimed Broadway productions. 


Having spent most of my childhood pretending to be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz, it’s only fitting that as I embark upon adult hood, I satisfy my curiosity for the romance, politics and truths about the land of Oz. My fantasy life as child continues into adult hood, as I feel I have gotten to know my oldest friends, the Tin Man, the Scare Crow and the Wonderful Wizard of Oz on a deep and personal level after seeing this play.
Wicked is a theater performance that will leave you feeling as if you’re defying gravity as the performers lift you out of your seat and drop you into the life of the witch of the west. It’s surreal how virtually every character from the simple story of The Wizard of Oz is tied into the intricate plot that is amazingly Wicked. From the ruby slippers, to the twister that brought Dorothy to Oz, no yellow brick is left unturned.
The plot is partially political. The issues the plague Oz mirror the world issues of today. From racism, to repression in the work place, to war and love triangles, there is something for everyone in this magical performance. Men, women, children, optimists, pessimists and realists, everyone will enjoy this deep inspirational play.
"A man's called a traitor - or liberator. A rich man's a thief - or philanthropist. Is one a crusader - or ruthless invader? It's all in which label is able to persist," are words from the mouth of the Wonder Wizard of Oz himself. This is one of my favourite quotes from the play. There is more to this play than a fairy tale. The show will leave you inspired and questioning your views on this wonderful world of ours.
Although, I was impacted strongly by the political theme of the play, don’t think I wasn’t swept away on a broomstick by the deeply human aspects of the Wicked Witch of the West. The story, which explains Eplhelba’s (the witch of the west),   decent to wickedness, is that of heartbreak, betrayal, friendship and love. Each character is neither good, nor wicked. There are so many layers to virtually every character; it’s impossible to pinpoint a specific “evil” villain. Just as in life, everyone makes mistakes, and every choice has a consequence. It’s magical to watch the choices of the characters come to life to form Oz as we know it. The play allows us to understand the motives behind Wizard of Oz and the Witch of the West.
As one would expect of a Broadway performance, the acting was breathtaking. I couldn’t take my eyes off Glinda, the good witch, (played by Jeanna De Wall).  Although the point of her character was to play the beautiful popular girl who has it all, I can’t decide if it was her character, or her acting ability that ruptured my attention so immensely. All eyes were on her whenever she took the stage. Elphelba, (Played by Christine Dwyer) reminds me of many people I know- Incredibly intelligent and utterly misunderstood. To Boq, (played by Micheal Wartella) a sweet little munchkin who is incredibly smitten by Glinda. The actors portray such realistic personalities there is someone for everyone to relate to.
Frederick street in Kitchener has temporarily been transformed to the yellow brick road. I highly recommend you follow it to the Center of the Square to see Wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment